The CDC officially recommends that all Americans wear masks to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Rebecca Yaker and Amy Wyland have made over 1000 masks, and all have been wear tested by friends and family across the country. We believe we have put together a mask representing the best of the best in terms of fit, fabric, construction, comfort, versatility, and function in a handmade mask.
- Our mask offers a comfortable, secure fit. It hugs your nose and cheeks, yet offers a little more space at your mouth, so talking is still comfortable and clear.
- We've added a wire channel to the inside of the mask at the bridge of the nose. This channel allows you to add a piece of wire (included!) to aide in a comfortable, firm, secure, customized, fit at your nose. This feature is especially excellent for glasses wearers!
- The sides of the mask come further back on your face to help ensure coverage and will not gape in front of your ears.
- The mask ties behind your head (as opposed to behind your ears) resulting in a better fit and ultimate comfort for extended wear. We use one continuous 50", comfortable jersey knit tie to make adjustments super easy. **Please note that the tie color may not be as pictured, as it varies from mask to mask based on immediate availability.
- There is an opening between the lining and exterior in which you can insert an optional disposable filter (not supplied - please refer to our filter suggestions). Included with your mask will be a printed paper pattern so you can cut your own filter to fit your mask.
- The exterior fabric is tightly woven cotton. **Please note that print placement varies from mask to mask.
- The lining fabric is 100% cotton double gauze, a soft, lightweight fabric made from two thin layers of cotton that are basted together every ⅜” or so. It feels great against your face! **Please note that lining color and printed pattern may vary from mask to mask.
Please remember that our masks aren’t going to fully protect you from coronavirus and are not intended to replace other recommended measures to stop the community spread of COVID-19. You should still be practicing social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from others in public and frequently washing your hands for 20 seconds each time.
Our masks are made from 100% cotton and are washable and reusable. We recommend washing before first use.
Our face masks are not a replacement for medical grade Personal Protective Equipment, and in circumstances where medical grade Personal Protective Equipment is recommended, you should consult a health care professional.
The decision to use this mask is solely your own. Please follow the latest advice of the CDC and your own health care professionals as to how best to keep yourself safe.
KAPOW! Face Mask
While wearing your mask, avoid touching it as to not spread germs or viruses. If using a filter, dispose of it after each use (this will avoid self-contamination). We recommend that you wash your mask in a delicates bag (if available) in hot water with detergent.
**Please remove nose wire prior to laundering**
Disposable Filter Suggestions
All of the below suggestions have varying levels of filterability. Spend some time and research the best option for you:
- Furnace filters: They must remain in honeycomb pattern for a micron rating. Also, note that some filters made of fiber glass may be harmful to breathe. Use caution!!
- Some vacuum cleaner bags (HEPA approved), and please note that they may be very difficult to breathe through.
- Blue Shop Towel (1 or 2 layers)
- Coffee filters
Mask Wearing Best Practices
- Your mask is not reversible.
- Do not share your mask.
- Do not touch your face or mask while wearing it.
- Remove your mask by touching the ties only.
- Wash after each use.
- Do not microwave your mask.